Monday, October 27, 2014

The Spider

I wrote this years ago, but lost many of my stories when the blog I kept them at shut down and all was lost...so was grateful to find this one today...
The Spider...  (2006)
We went to a Rehab Dinner one night in the little town of Cottonwood. The women cook the best food, luscious pies and the money goes to the Rehab Center which helps those who have had stokes or any type of disability. They do so much good, and at no cost to those who cannot afford it. After we finished eating, it was time to go into the auditorium to listen to the local country bands, Each one has a specified amount of time that they play and sing, such wonderful music, so gifted, so talented, it is a blessing to sit and listen to them. While we were sitting there listening to a beautiful version of Danny Boy, a huge Granddaddy Longlegs spider fell from the ceiling onto Benny's hand, and then it came across onto me, and he flicked it off me, and it landed on the person to my right, ran across her skirt, and the next lady had a cane and she hollered, began to hit at the spider with her cane,the floor and also hitting the chair in front of her, and then it ran across the lady on the end seat, and she jumped up and began to wave her skirt as if she was fanning a fire, and I got down, I was laughing so hard the tears were rolling down my face. I said, “It is only a granddaddy longlegs, it won't hurt you.” to which she replied, “it is still a durn* (*nice version only) spider” and I laughed even harder. Country ways are always great and full of fun. I bet that spider could have won a marathon race.


No comments:

Post a Comment